Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Procrastinating Pioneer

 Some of my fondest memories of childhood are the flavors and tastes and textures of childhood. One of the strongest memories (in more ways than one) is the memory of toasted salt rising bread. Don't let the name fool you. The leavening of the bread does not rely on salt at all in fact in some cases it can stunt the fermentation process. It is called salt rising bread because back when we were moving west they would have salt blocks that would retain the heat of the sun and would allow the fermentation process by keeping the starter at a fairly constant temperature or so the story goes. Fact is we will probably never know why it is called salt rising bread or salt risen bread or any of the other names it goes by. Really those who love the bread do not care. They just want some toast and cant find anywhere to buy the bread anymore.

 In this blog I am going to track my process of trying to make my own salt rising bread all my successes and failures. All my ups and downs. I am also going to start on my senility by letting my mind get side tracked along the way and telling you about the antique cookbooks I find and what little tidbits I dig up on the internet, all while in my quest for the perfect salt rising bread. 

 Last week I bought a special gift for myself so I can finally try to make my own salt rising bread. It is a bread proofer. It can hold a temperature of between 90 and 110 degrees it has a wider range of course but that is the goldilocks zone for making this bread. It can maintain these temperatures for as long as is needed. Some of the other methods I have heard of are the salt block method (I don't live on a ranch so I don't have access to that) Using the left over radiating heat from a old wood burning stove. Once again no access. Placing the starter in a warm area on or near a hot water heater. I have an all electric home so it wont do the job that also leaves me out of using the pilot in a oven. In a jar inside a crockpot. The crockpot I have wont hold temps under 130. I have even heard of using an electric blanket or a heating lamp. Even if I did have some of the other options you have to maintain a constant temperature and most of these will fluctuate too wildly to be successful, at least considering my limited knowledge that is.

 So the bread proofer seems to be the perfect answer. It is a Brod &Taylor folding proofer I paid
$147.95 through Chefs Catalog website.

I am going to make the best bread ever this is going to be a synch!



































No comments:

Post a Comment