Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day Five: No working starter but some progress.

OK so both failed but I got some positive results on the potato starter. Foamy and sticky but I should have let it go another 24 hours I am in the second 24 hours of my second attempt at a potato starter. going to have to buy more bread until I can get some baked.

OK great news I just checked my latest attempt.
  1. Started with 1 medium to large potato sliced very thin covered with hot/warm tap water 1 t flour and 1 t corm meal 1 T sugar covered and fermented for 24 hours
  2. Remove the sliced potatoes and add 1 c flour. cover and ferment until step three is complete
  3. Scalded 1 C milk added 1 t four 1 t corn meal and let this mixture cool until between 90 and 110 degrees.
  4.  add the milk mixture to the potato liquid and cover and ferment until foamy and stinky. The picture is after 3 hours. (also transferred to a bigger bowl at this point)
  5. Thinking another 12 to 24 hours but could be less. we will know for sure on Day Six.

No comments:

Post a Comment