Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Day one! This is going to be great!


  Last night I got a little too excited and tried to make my first starter it called for a cup of scaled milk and a half cup of sifted corn meal. Cover and ferment for 8 to 12 hours. You should end up with a foamy concoction that smells like rotten cheese or even dirty socks. 

 Well I did not have milk, only cream and buttermilk and all I had was polenta/git ground corn. So I used half butter milk and half cream and scalded the mixture. I added the corn meal and it thickened up completely. Knowing that this was too think I scalded another cup of the buttermilk/cream mixture and added it. It did loosen up but not as much as I had hoped. I covered it and let it ferment for 15 hours. All I got was 15 hour old grits. no foamy froth or smell. I trashed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment